Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Fidelity

This morning, I woke up to the sound of birds chirping out my window, the song Fidelity by Regina Spektor roaring throughout my room from my alarm clock. I hear my mother cooking breakfast, my father getting ready for work and of course, Regina snoring.  Those lovely sound I'd probably miss when I'll be at college and gone. Gone for you know... five...six...seven...eight...years? I have to work extremely hard, but I will enjoy it. It's like pure bliss to me.

I walked to my closet, almost dancing as the song Fidelity replayed. The lyrics we're perfect, and I mean perfect.

I never loved nobody fully
Always one foot on the ground
And I protected my heart truly
I got lost, in the sounds

I opened my closet door and took out a pair of jeans that were my favorite, a blouse with delicate ruffles and eyelet lace trimming, and brown flats with a little brown bow. I walked over to my vanity and grabbed my Tiffany & Co. key necklace that I had received for Christmas last year. It was one of the best gifts I had ever received. 

I then looked out my window, seeing the neighbors. You see, there's this boy. He came here from Paris, France when he was 7. His name is Drake. Maybe you know, but I moved here from Moscow, Russia when I was 5. I always had a crush on Drake. He had blonde short hair, brown eyes, sort of muscular build. We've been in school together since he came here. Both being immigrants. I went over to his house once and a while, we were both the same age. He hadn't knew about my talent...yet. I wasn't really determined to tell him either, he considered us as friends and only friends. I considered that too, but you know, I want more. I want us to be more than friends. I don't think I have ever told him I liked him, mostly just as a friend but again, he probably doesn't like me. 

I walked downstairs, my sister still asleep. I smelled savory eggs, bacon grease {delicious, I know.}, and toast of course... toasting. I started eating, scarfing food as fast as I could because I was hungry. I told my mother ,"Thank you! May I go to the Moreau's house this morning?" My mother said ,"Of course, just be sure you don't bother them." I said ,"Thank you! Oh, and goodbye father, have a wonderful day." He said ,"Goodbye, tell your sister I told her bye." He walked out the door. 

I waited for him to leave, after my father left I walked down the street a few blocks to the local Starbucks. Theophile and I always meet here, practically everyday. It was in the middle of summer, too hot for coffee, but sure lovely for an ice cold Frappechino. I ordered a caramel Frappechino with extra caramel, and a lemon pound cake, my absolute favorite. I waited for about 2-3 minutes and there showed Theophile. 

He was beautiful. He wore a simple muscle shirt, designer jeans, and designer black boots. The perfect outfit I thought to myself. He sat down and said in his deep voice ,"Hey." I said ,"Oh, you're here!" and smiled. He then said ,"Mind if I order?" I said ,"No, go right ahead."

A few seconds later, a spirit shows up. HARPER, I NEED YOUR HELP. I was turning my head thinking please, just go away. This is a horrible time. The spirit then trips Theophile and goes away. I ran to Theophile and helped him up. Offering to buy him another coffee. He said ,"No thanks, sorry, I have to go." I was sighing, but I said ,"Oh okay, maybe tomorrow we can meet-up?" He said ,"Sure." and walked off. 

I was about the burst into tears, I ruined another moment. He probably thinks I'm a freak. I just sipped my coffee admiring the rest of the vacant Starbucks shop, and went home.

- Harper

2 comments:

Erin said...

Oh my goodness! I think you should tell Theophile what happened, and I think you should tell him about your talent. If you're his friend, he'll understand.

~Beth~

Abby !! said...

STUPID SPIRITS. If you're like Theophile's bff, then you should tell him about you and he'll be like "Okay! I understand more fully." In his deep voice. Ah, this reminds me of Ostrich...XD